Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Being food - for the soul

This title is likely not gonna read for any google searches, but that is what I mean.

The other I noticed how little I am actually eating and working with the chickens and in the garden has made my body thinner and stronger.

While I have not really had much of any food at regular meals on an ongoing basis for years (I would be fairly inexpensive to have as a house guest that way :),  I do frequently now find myself asking for meal leftovers from others and meal prep kitchen compost - for the birds. Friends of mine make special town trips to get greens from stores or restaurants for their chickens.  This I cannot do, but I now do understand why they do it. It is actually recommended as part of healthy nutrition if you can't truly free range, for the making of compost and vermi-bins and such. And there seems to be something else that is worth noting:

The chicks are 8 weeks old today, and they still get their chicks starter crumbles, but for some reason, they leave that in a heartbeat if really veggie stuff is available. The seem to LOOOOVE the real foods. And I notice I love giving it to them and that there is real food for me when I see them eating yummy kitchen vegetable stuff - and I am so happy to share what I do have with them. Their happy sounds are food for my body and soul.

And  I realized the other day that I am being fed, though not through organic food,  when I feed them good stuff and they are happy and well fed. It is Being-food, and it does feel like a substance to me. I am happy when they are and it is food for my soul -  "being-food". I am sure a lot of you have experienced something similar, maybe with your child. This "being-food" is worth more to me than an organic meal.

I know they are "just" chickens - and - caring for them provides being-food  -  could be you only get that when you stop seeing them as "just" chickens. -

They are a living part of who you are, on all levels - and so are the veggies - but that is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment