Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

How chickens changed my life - HCCML-1

A visiting friend's first experience with chickens on her back :)
1 - Someone suggested to me yesterday to write a blog, like a book,  about: "How chickens changed my life" because he'd never seen me this happy. I recalled how it started, and reminded him - "You know, it started with Skye". "Yes yes, but still write about it". Just the day before while working in the kitchen and then collecting kitchen scraps for the 4 weeks old chickies - I heard myself say: my current happiness is derived from seeing the chickens happy. And by happy I am not trying to put human emotions and such on them. Happy chickens are are doing chicken things in a healthy, non crowded way, like foraging about in the designated yard. They make happy noises, they are healthy. Yes, they are only 4 weeks old, and puberty has not hit them, nor has breeding season, therefore, so far, they are trusting, curious,  love what I bring them as well as roost on me. Are there other things to make me happy?  Yes, when a dog in the shelter finds a good home, when there are news of a habitat being protected, when folks wake up and their lives are more free - and they can possibly turn to include the earth and her creatures in their awareness. When people get a lot out of a workshop to make their lives easier - or to wake up a bit more

But it is the everyday chicken exposure, that is pure delight and energizing - and in fact - makes me happy. I should say that I LOVE birds, have loved birds since I can remember. To sit there are just observe them move -  could do it for hours. I suppose most people nowadays would think that is crazy and a waste of time, Most people get bored regularly - I never do. There are not enough hours in the day to do a fraction of the things I am interested in. Like a friend told me a LOOONG time ago: "Life is like a supermarket. You get a cart to fill up. You can get anything you want - but you can't have everything".
And boy oh boy (girls too) - is that ever true.
A few years ago I learned, though did not practice, that serving others, working for the benefit of sentient beings - can be fun. having been raised in Germany, this "having fun" thing was a bit alien to me. But that notion has crept up periodically and again very recently. It is not the essential necessity of humor - no, it's actually fun. And strictly speaking, it is still not about having fun - except that is is fun - and I LOVE working with chickens. So far, I have not yet had to deal with the rooster overpopulation - I'm working on it.

So far, when I sit with them - I am happy. Nothing is missing or amiss. I love those chickies. I LOVE them.

So welcome to this label thread of the chicken garden adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment