Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Buttercups - the sweetest chickens I know

4 buttercup chick (front) - day 1
Instead of the Buff Catalanas, which were sold out, I got a batch assorted light chickens - 4 Golden Polish, 6 Buttercups, 6 Egyptian Fayoumis and 11 Blue Andalusians.

This is about the Buttercups .

I LOVE them - and I won't hesitate to get more if given the chance.

I treated all the chicken babies the same - and from day 1, the buttercups seemed to want to come close or sit on me. While some of the other 3 breeds warmed up too, the Buttercups seem to naturally gravitate towards people. They also seem to be gentle in general. It is not that the males don't have little stand-offs with other chickens - but not once have i seen any relentless chasing of any other chicken - much unlike the Blue Andalusian males. The buttercups, at least to 3 months of age, seem to leave the Golden Polish chicks alone, not something you can say of the others. They are good foragers too.

Day 8
Time will tell how they do in the mating season - and btw, the females seems horrified at the chasing advances by the Blue Andalusians.

I love the sweet, gentle and curious nature of them and I hope the males will dance for the females.
Even if they end up not being top layers, I love their temperament so much so far - I will get some more when the Buff Catalanas come in next year.



day 18

day 33

9 weeks
12 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment