Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Roos and Hens in separate pens

Males are behind the division in the roo-run - going for function atm :),
not enough time to worry about aesthetics for too long
when you got screaming pullets to listen to ....
Ok, the May chicks are 12 weeks old now. 2 days ago I started keeping them separate during the day, the run for the roos not even properly finished. However, 2 of the seemingly premature roos started chasing the sweet buttercup hens all the time (I should say: pullets and cockerels), which were running screeming and even trying to escape the runs. So now, out of sight, out of mind and all is well.

A friend of mine, who has been keeping chickens for years, says they will all do that when the time comes, as long as the hens are around - in which case they will also fight each other. I want the roos to be gentleman roos - the kind who dance for the hens ....:) we'll see if one of them at least turns out like that.

So, plan is: keep them separate and the roos will be foraging in the large garden soon. We should be ok till mating season at least. I might buy separate feed for them too. I do need to make a night roosting box so I don't have to manage the coop so much. Right now the hens are spending the night inside the old brooder box, conveniently empty as I never got my buff catalanas due to the heat - no hatchlings. I do have to put them in by hand though, but at least they are safe till I come to let them out inti their separate runs.
Here are some of them, though so far it is only a couple of blue andalusians doing the relentless chasing, the top 2 being the ones :)








1 comment:

  1. fab, well done for all your efforts to make such an interesting site, laurence

    ReplyDelete