Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

DIY simple Garden Egg Recipe

It is spring, my September chicks also have come into lay and  I am having some for egg recipe experiments.

I do lunch 3 times a week for anywhere between 8-12 people, mostly nice salads and bean soup.
Given the mixed dietary requirements - some no beans, some no milk, some no cheese, some no tomato, almost all no wheat -> that leaves me with a certain cooking limitation.

I went online to look up some vegetarian egg dishes - and the ingredients across the board really were not suitable.

So I went simple, pretty much with what we have - mind you ...only the eggs and pasta are really mandatory. Experiment!!!!!

  •  8 oz un-enriched spelt pasta (a little less than 1/2 pound for the European readers)
  • 7 Beyond Organic Garden eggs :)))))))))))))))))))) from my happy chickens.
  • 2 or 3 handfuls of baby spinach
  • 2 grated carrots
  • 1/2 - 1 cup of almond milk
  • 1  small package of organic mushrooms
  • about 4 oz of grated organic cheese
  • parsley
  • salt
  • olive oil



spices: none used


Put on salted water to precook the pasta, cut the mushrooms, saute and add the carrots and spinach ...saute then cover, preheat oven at 325 F
beat the eggs and add the milk after

drain pasta, make sure not overcooked (give it a minute or 2 or 3 less than the instructions say)
put pasta in oiled baking pan
add the sauteed vegetables, including liquid - mix gently with pasta
add the egg almond milk mixture as evenly as you can.
(add spices you might like)
cover with the grated cheese
bake for 30 minutes

makes 4 - 8 servings


garnish as desired, parsley works well

It was meant to go with the salad - but I misscalulated the prep time - give it 30 minutes, plus the 30 minutes in the oven

It tasted GREAT, was well received and is a keeper :)


Since I don't really care for a lot of spicing, just salt will do fine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment