Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Just a chicken ?

Just a chicken - well ..

Golden Polish
The other day I was happy that one of my roos found a home. He had been scheduled for culling but the Universe cancelled his date by sending bad weather. ..and he got adopted 2 days before the next cull date. Now he'll be roo for 10 hens and have a large coop and pretty much free range...and then he was put in a wire crate, open in a pick-up truck and off he went. I had a question I asked via e-mail but never heard back - and so I wish him the best rooster life, and also realize: for many, even as they may love chickens, chickens are still "just a chicken" - and he'll be fine...in the open truck and cage.




He had a sweet elegance








And so here is a picture of another young roo - he went off this morning with some of his brothers to where they are being "harvested". Granted, the place there is so peaceful ... I'd want it during my passnig - but their life ended. Sometimes you read: we "don't get attached to those" to the ones due for "freezer camp". Folks joke, find another way, some way to not actually have to face the killing of a beautiful being. I am not saying that for us who are giving them and their flock life, that we don't have to manage it ...just saying - I never see pictures of those that went to that infamous "freezer camp" as if they were not beautiful amazing young birds, deserving to be seen and loved. Is this really some morbid fascination, dwelling in some sentimental guilt pain, or is it simply this:

These guys are beautiful and full of rooster-life. I love them. They get their pictures taken as the others. They get exposed to the crates and being touched and taken off the roost so they are not so afraid when the time comes. They get a few extra treats on their last day. And I pray for all the roosters (using the Karma Wash and Clear Light Orb) - all of them ...and best I can tell, the ones given a life...got helped by that - and the ones that are culled, have had a peaceful passing. In any case, I like this way of "Play to Pray".

I understand about "just a chicken". I understand that actually a peaceful passing now might be better than a bad life for a few more months with a horrible death. We just never know when sending out a bird what fate actually awaits them, unless we really know the people and check on the birds, because, to many - no matter what, they are still "just a chicken".

Each and every one of my chickens, hens or roos, are loved. Things are not perfect, flocks need to be balanced.
May the love stay with them, the part of them that is essential and everlasting, and there is comfort in that they actually had a chance at a chicken-worthy life on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment